Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
Most adults in England have to pay prescription charges.
Some items are always free, including contraceptives and medicines prescribed for hospital inpatients.
The current prescription charge is £9.65 per item.
A prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) could save you money on NHS prescription costs:
- a 3-month PPC costs £31.25
- a 12-month PPC is £111.60
- a 12-month PPC for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) only is £19.30
- a surgical bra is £31.70
- an abdominal or spinal support is £47.80
- a stock acrylic wig is £78.15
- a partial human hair wig is £207.00
- a full bespoke human hair wig is £302.70
More in Prescriptions and pharmacies
We are extending this service by stocking a number of the more popular 'over-the-counter' medicines that you can buy without the need for a prescription. We hope this will be convenient for you. Any suggestions for improving our dispensing service further will be welcome.
We believe that dispensing brings enormous benefits to our patients and provides an integral part of achieving our high standards of care.
- Committed to providing a high quality, comprehensive, efficient dispensing service that is sensitive to patients' needs.
- Ensuring that all dispensing staff receive suitable training.
- Building in adequate checking mechanisms during dispensary procedures to ensure that medicines are dispensed accurately and safely.
- Ensuring that dispensary staff have easy access to a GP staff member at all times during the day.
- Providing high quality equipment in the dispensary which is adequate and suitable for all processes involved in dispensing.
- Ensuring that cleanliness and hygiene are observed throughout the dispensary during all dispensing procedures.
- Complying with all laws and regulations applicable to dispensing practice. Ensuring that confidentiality is maintained with respect to all patient records whether on manual or computerised systems.
- Respecting the need for patient privacy during all dispensing procedures. Ensuring patients are provided with appropriate information and advice concerning their medication.
- Adopting a practice formulary and by constantly reviewing it, to continue to provide the highest standards of care.
Please allow a full 5 working days, excluding weekends and Bank Holidays, for your request to be processed. If you come to collect before then, we may have to waste valuable time looking for something that's not there!